Leymann Inventory of Psychological Terror (LIPT)
Questionnaire and typography of 45 mobbing actions according to
Prof. Dr. Heinz Leymann, covering 5 categories.
Mobbing (workplace bullying) is present if one or more actions happen about once per week and over a period of at least one year.
Other mobbing definitions allow for shorter periods of half a year and ask for more than one
frequent mobbing action.
1. Effects on self-expression and communication:
- Your superior restricts the opportunity for you to express yourself.
- You are constantly interrupted.
- Colleagues restrict your opportunity to express yourself.
- You are yelled at and loudly scolded.
- Your work is constantly criticized.
- There is constant criticism about your personal life.
- You are terrorized on the telephone.
- Oral threats are made.
- Written threats are sent.
- Contact is denied through looks or gestures.
- Contact is denied through innuendo.
2. Effects on social contacts:
- People do not speak with you anymore.
- You cannot talk to anyone; access to others is denied.
- You are relocated to another room far away from colleagues.
- Colleagues are forbidden to talk with you.
- You are treated as if you are invisible.
3. Effects on personal reputation:
- People talk badly about you behind your back.
- Unfounded rumors about you are circulated.
- You are ridiculed.
- You are treated as if you are mentally ill.
- You are forced to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
- Your handicap is ridiculed.
- People imitate your gestures, walk, or voice to ridicule you.
- Your political or religious beliefs are ridiculed.
- Your private life is ridiculed.
- Your nationality is ridiculed.
- You are forced to do a job that affects your self-esteem.
- Your efforts are judged in a wrong and demeaning way.
- Your decisions are always questioned.
- You are called by demeaning names.
- Sexual innuendoes are present.
4. Effects on occupational situation and quality of life:
- There are no special tasks for you.
- Supervisors take away assignments so that you cannot invent new tasks to do.
- You are given meaningless jobs to carry out.
- You are given jobs that are below your qualifications.
- You are continually given new tasks.
- You are given tasks that affect your self-esteem.
- You are given tasks that are way beyond your qualifications in order to discredit you.
5. Effects on physical health:
- You are forced to do a physically strenuous job.
- Threats of physical violence are made.
- Light violence is used to threaten you.
- Physical abuse is present.
- Causing general damages that create financial costs to you.
- Damaging your workplace or home.
- Outright sexual harassment is present.
- Leymann, Heinz (1990). Handbok för användning av LIPT-formuläret för kartläggning av risker för psykiskt våld (Manual of the LIPT questionnaire for assessing the risk of psychological violence at work). Stockholm: Violen.
- Leymann, Heinz (1990). Mobbing and Psychological Terror at Workplaces. Violence and Victims 5(2), pp. 119-126.
Other Mobbing Indicators and Questionnaires are listed here.
Impressum: Albrecht, 92665 Altenstadt, Germany.